Top 4 Compact Crossovers & SUVs for 2021
Searching for a certain type of vehicle that can do it all? Compact crossovers and SUVs offer a compelling combination of versatile utility, capable power and efficiency, outstanding value, and bold styling. It’s certainly easy to understand how this segment has rapidly expanded in popularity in recent years. With more and more manufacturers entering this segment, making the right decision can seem quite daunting at first. Fortunately, our team at Basil Family Dealerships wants to help simplify your decision. We’ve created this informative guide which lists our top choices for compact crossovers and SUVs. We’re confident that you’ll have enough information to find the vehicle that both your head and heart can agree on.
5-Star Overall Safety Rating (NHTSA) – 2021 Chevrolet Trax
Searching for a compact SUV that’s packed with versatility and offers a look that’s unique as your own? Get out and explore all that your city has to offer with the dynamic Chevrolet Trax. Giving you the perfect balance of power and efficiency, the Trax comes standard with a 1.4L turbocharged ECOTEC® engine which can deliver up to 31 MPG on the highway. Access your favorite multimedia while on the go with its standard Chevrolet Infotainment 3 System featuring a 7-inch diagonal touchscreen display. Using the available myChevrolet Mobile App, you can access key functions of your vehicle remotely using your compatible smartphone. A total of 8 different seating configurations create endless possibilities for carrying both cargo and passengers. In fact, folding the front passenger seat flat allows you to carry items up to 8 feet long. Lastly, the Chevrolet Trax comes standard with 10 airbags along with a collection of available driver-assistive safety innovations. As a result, the Trax has received a 5-Star Overall Safety Rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Starting at $21,400 MSRP
- 1.4L Turbo ECOTEC 4-cylinder engine with 138 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque
- Chevrolet Infotainment 3 System with 7-inch diagonal color touchscreen
- Optional Bose® premium 7-speaker audio system
- Available Heated driver and front passenger seats
- Standard Rear Vision Camera
International Engine of the Year Award – 1.0L EcoBoost from Ford Motor Company
City-sized in stature with a full-sized attitude, the Ford EcoSport helps you hit the streets in style. Customize the mood inside the cabin with available ambient lighting in shades of blue, green, purple, and more. Offering room for up to 5 passengers along with available Wi-Fi hotspot capability, you and your crew will always be able to stay connected no matter how far your travels take you. An optional Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System ensures that you’ll always be able to easily find your way home as well. A massive 50 cubic feet of max cargo capacity inside the EcoSport helps you cross things off of your weekend to-do list. Since even the best drivers can use a little help from time to time, the EcoSport comes standard with Ford C-Pilot360™ technology including Autolamp Automatic On/Off Headlamps, Hill Start Assist, and a Rear View Camera. Balancing efficiency with power, the EcoSport offers drivers their choice of either a standard 1.0L EcoBoost engine® with Auto Start-Stop technology or an optional 2.0L Ti-VCT engine with Intelligent 4WD System. Highlighting the excellence of Ford engineering, the standard 1.0L EcoBoost engine® has been named International Engine and Powertrain of the Year for an astounding 11 consecutive years.
- Starting at $19,995 MSRP
- Your choice of a standard 1.0L EcoBoost® I-3 engine with 123 horsepower / 125 lb-ft of torque or an available 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 engine with 166 horsepower / 149 lb-ft of torque
- Standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2-inch color LCD screen
- Standard FordPass Connect™ 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot
- 60/40 flip-up and split-fold rear bench seat
- Available Intelligent 4WD (2.0L Ti-VCT engine only)
Kelley Blue Book 12 Best Family Cars – Toyota RAV4
Whether you’re headed downtown or out of town, the Toyota RAV4 has the smarts, style, and safety features to enhance your drive. Signature design cues include a wide upright front grille, sculpted character profile lines, and prominent wheel arches which help showcase its optional 19-inch alloy wheels. Its rugged look also comes from widened front and rear tracks for added confidence on the trails. Every RAV4 comes powered by a standard Dynamic Force 2.5-Liter Inline 4-Cylinder with VVT-iE paired with an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission. Tech features found inside the cabin include hands-free access to Amazon Alexa, Android Auto, and Apple CarPlay integration along with available Qi wireless charging tray and up to five USB ports. Continuing its legacy as an industry leader when it comes to safety, Toyota has equipped every RAV4 model with standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. This collection of active driver-assistive safety features is only one of the reasons why the team of experts at Kelley Blue Book have named the Toyota RAV4 to their 12 Best Family Cars list for 2020.
- Starting at $26,050 MSRP
- Dynamic Force 2.5-liter I4 engine with VVT-iE mated to an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission with up to 28 city / 35 highway MPG
- Standard 7-inch touch-screen, Android Auto™, Apple CarPlay®, and Amazon Alexa integration
- Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0
- Available hands-free power liftgate
- Available Multi-Terrain Select and Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect
Cars.com 5-Star Consumer Review Rating – Volkswagen Tiguan
Striking a distinct balance between luxurious comfort and versatile performance, the Volkswagen Tiguan has continued to build on its award-winning reputation. On the exterior, the Tiguan has a look that’s both sophisticated and adventurous thanks to a wide selection of expressive paint choices. For easy access to its expansive cargo area, all it takes is a simple swipe of your foot below its available Hands-free Easy Open and Easy Close Liftgate. Beneath the hood lies a 2.0L inline four-cylinder turbocharged/intercooled TSI® engine with 184 horsepower and 221 lb-ft of torque paired with the confidence of available 4MOTION® all-wheel drive. Hear your favorite songs the way the artists intended with the optional Fender® Premium Audio System featuring a 480-watt amp and nine speakers. Innovative driver-assist technologies help you stay prepared for the unexpected behind the wheel of your Tiguan. These options include Adaptive Cruise Control, Park Distance Control with Maneuver Braking, Front Assist, Blind Spot Monitor, and Lane Assist. It’s easy to see why Cars.com customer respondents have awarded the Volkswagen Tiguan with a 5-Star overall rating.
- Starting at $25,245 MSRP
- 2.0L inline four-cylinder turbocharged/intercooled TSI® engine with 184 horsepower and 221 lb-ft of torque, available 4MOTION® all-wheel drive
- Available 7-seat configuration with 3rd-row seating and 3rd-Row Seating package
- Optional Discover Media touchscreen navigation system with 8-inch color display
- Volkswagen Car-Net® App-Connect with Bluetooth® audio streaming
- Optional Overhead View Camera (Area View)